Consider friends with kindness, generousity and empathy...
in a secret Valentine's Day portrait.
A wonderful way to get to know someone better is to paint a portrait of them.
- First the children each chose a name from the basket and kept it a secret until Valentine's Day.
- Then they observed their subject for a few days: hair color, eye color, glasses, skin color, hair length and style, usually happy or serious, favorite color, jewelry...
- When they were ready they drew a picture of the subject in black poster paint on red construction paper. Let dry completely.
- Next they added color to the portrait with oil crayons. (regular crayons are too timid for this project)
- Then they chose words to describe their friend. This is always interesting because they have chosen a subject at random. It's a great time to discus what friendship means if the artist didn't get her best friend and to find the best in someone else.
- Finally, hearts are added, these are made from painted paper.